Former holder of the Y. Winograd Chair in Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer
- 1957 – B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Technion – I.I.T. (summa cum laude)
- 1958 – Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, Technion – I.I.T.
- 1963 – M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, Technion – I.I.T.
- 1966 – Ph.D., Engineering, Brown University, Providence RI, USA
- Fluid mechanics and heat and mass transfer.
- Rotating fluid dynamics.
- Hydrodynamic stability.
- Water desalination.
- Heat and mass transfer in material processing.
- Radiation gas dynamics.
- Visiting Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH (1976, 1989)
- Visiting Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University, New Brunswick NJ (1981-82, 1988-89)
- Lecturer on Mechanical Engineering and Research Fellow in Combustion Aerodynamics, Division of Engineering and Applied Physics, Harvard University, Cambridge MA (1966-67)
- Mechanical Engineer, Israel Ministry of Defence (1957-61)
Public Professional Activities
- Senior Vice President, Technion (1995-96)
- Vice President for Academic Affairs (1991-94)
- Vice President for Research (1983-86)
- Dean of Graduate School (1978-80)
- Dean, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (1973-75, 1990)
Membership in Professional Societies
Honors and Awards
- Fellow of ASME
- E. Armon, Y. Zvirin, G. Laufer and A. Solan, “Metal drilling with a CO2 laser beam. I. Theory”, J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 65, No. 12, pp. 4995-5002, (1989).
- P.Z. Bar-Yoseph, A. Solan, R. Hillen and K.G. Roesner, “Taylor vortex flow between eccentric coaxial rotating spheres”, Phys. Fluids A, Vol. 2, No. 9, pp. 1564-1573, (1990).
- M. Toren, M. Ungarish, G. Pinchuk and A. Solan, “Centrifugal convection due to mass transfer near a rotating disk at high Schmidt numbers”, J. Applied Mech., Vol. 58, pp. 566-571, (1991).
- E. Armon, Y. Zvirin and A. Solan, “Numerical simulation of metal drilling with a CO2 laser beam”, Numerical Heat Transfer, Part B, Vol. 19, pp. 85-104, (1991).
- P.Z. Bar-Yoseph, K.G. Roesner and A. Solan, “Vortex breakdown in the polar region between rotating spheres”, Phys. Fluids A, Vol. 4, No. 8, pp. 1677-1686, (1992).
- A. Arkadyev, P.Z. Bar-Yoseph, A. Solan and K.G. Roesner, “Thermal effects on axisymmetric vortex breakdown in a spherical gap”, Phys. Fluids A, Vol. 5, No. 5, pp. 1211-1223, (1992).
- S.R. Bodner, J. Singer, A. Solan and Z. Hashin (eds.), Theoretical and Applied Mechanics 1992, Proc. Eighteenth International Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Haifa, Israel, August 1992, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., Amsterdam, (1993).
- A.Yu. Gelfgat, P.Z. Bar-Yoseph and A. Solan, “Stability of confined swirling flow with and without vortex breakdown”, J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 311, pp. 1-36, (1996).
- A.Yu. Gelfgat, P.Z. Bar-Yoseph and A. Solan, “Steady states and oscillatory instability of swirling flow in a cylinder with rotating top and bottom”, Phys. Fluids, Vol. 8, No. 10, pp. 2614-2625, (1996).