Office: 318, DK
Tamara and Harry Handelsman Academic Chair
- 1978 - B.Sc., Faculty of Aeronautical Engineering, Technion - I.I.T.
- 1982 - M.Sc., Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Technion - I.I.T.
- 1986 - D.Sc., Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Technion - I.I.T.
- Robotic systems:
- Kinematics and dynamics of robots.
- Sensor-based robots.
- Multi-fingered hands.
- Medical Robotics.
- Founder, Mazor Surgical Technologies
- Israel Aircraft Industry (1978-80)
- Visiting professor in Stanford University, California (1994-5)
- Assistant professor in Columbia University, New York (1986-9)
Public Professional Activities
Membership in Professional Societies
- ASME- Fellow
- IEEE- Senior Member
Honors and Awards
- Fellow –Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), 2015
- Foreign Member – US National Academy of Engineering, 2014
- Thomas A. Edison Patent Award – American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2013
- Hershel Rich Innovation Award, 2011
- Technology Award – the Society for Medical Innovation and Technology (SMIT), 2008
- Fellow - The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 2008
- Outstanding Israeli project - ROBOCAST: ROBOt and sensors integration for Computer Assisted Surgery and Therapy , European Union 7th Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development. Awarded by the European Commission to the State of Israel, 2007
- Best Project Award, Israel Technological Incubators, Israel Ministry of Trade and Commerce, 2003
- Kaplan Prize for Creative Management of High Technology, 2002
- Juludan Award for Outstanding Scientific Research Achievements, 1999
- Hershel Rich Innovation Award, 1998
- Mitchell Entrepreneurial Award, 1996
- Haifa City (J. Dory) Award for Science and Technology, 1993
- Ullmann Academic Lecturer, years 1991-1993.
- Fundamentals of Robotics and Robot Structure, Volume 1 and 2. First published by Eshed Robotec, Tel-Aviv, Israel, 1984. Second published by Kogan Page Ltd., London, Great Britain, 1986.
- Bamberger, H., Wolf, A., Shoham, M.: Kinematics of Micro Parallel Robots: Research on MEMS Kinematics, VDM Verlag, 2009.
- Co-Author of chapters 4 and 5 in the book: Koren, Y.: Robotics for Engineers, Mc-Graw Hill, 1985.
- Wolf, A., Shoham, M., " Medical Automation and Robotics ", Springer Handbook of Automation, Nof, Shimon Y. (Ed.), Springer, pp 1397-1407, 2009.
- Shoham, M., "Robotic Surgery - Enabling Technology?", Robotic Surgery, Rosen, J., Hanaford, B. Satava R.M. (Eds.), Springer, 2010.
- Neubach, Z., Shoham, M. :”Ultrasound-Guided Robot for Flexible Needle Steering,” IEEE Transactions on Bio-Medical Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 4, pp. 799-805, 2010.
- Glozman, D., Hassidov, N., Senesh, M., Shoham, M. :”A Self-Propelled Inflatable Earthworm-Like Endoscope Actuated by Single Supply Line,” IEEE Transactions on Bio-Medical Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 6, pp. 1264-1272, 2010.
- Devito, D.P. et al., Shoham, M. :"Clinical acceptance and accuracy assessment of spinal implants guided with SpineAssist surgical robot – retrospective study," SPINE, Vol. 25, No. 24, 2010.Kosa, G., Shoham, M., Haber, S. :“The action of waving cylindrical tails with noncircular cross-section in propelling microrobots,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 22, No. 8, 2010.
- Zarrouk, D., Sharf, I., Shoham, M.: “Analysis of Earthworm-like Robotic Locomotion on Compliant Surfaces,” IEEE Transactions on Bio-Medical Engineering, Vol. 58, No. 2, pp. 301-309, 2011.
- Zarrouk, D., Shoham, M.: “A note on Screw Triangle,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 3, 014502, 2011.
- Lorenzo, D., De Momi, E., Dyagilev, I., Manganelli, R., Formaglio, A., Prattichizzo, D., Shoham, M., Ferrigno, G.: "Force feedback in a piezoelectric linear actuator for neurosurgery," International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, Vol. 7, Issue 3, 268-275, 2011.
- Zarrouk, D., Shoham, M.: “Analysis and Design of One Degree of Freedom Worm Robots for Locomotion on Rigid and Compliant Terrain,” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, Vol. 134, 021010-1-9, 2012.
- Zarrouk, D., Sharf, I., Shoham, M. :”Conditions for Worm-Robot Locomotion in a Flexible Environment: Theory and Experiments,” IEEE Transactions on Bio-Medical Engineering, Vol. 59, No. 4, 2012.
- Comparetti, MD., Vaccarella, A., Dyagilev, I., Shoham, M., Ferrigno, G., De Momi, E. : ”Accurate multi-robot targeting for keyhole neurosurgery based on external sensors monitoring,” Journal of Engineering in Medicine, Vol. 226, 5, pp. 347-359, 2012.
- Faria, C., Sadowsky, O., Bicho, E., Ferrigno, G., Joskowicz, L., Shoham, M., Vivanti, R., De Momi, E. :”Validation of a stereo camera system to quantify brain deformation due to breathing and pulsatility,” Medical Physics, Vol. 41, 2014.
- Ziso, H., Shoham, M. :”Bending Instability of a General Cross-Section Thin-Wall Tube for Minimal Radius of Curvature Passage,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 81, No.10, 2014.
- Cohen, A., Shoham, M. :”Application of Hyper-Dual Numbers to Multi-Body Kinematics,” IEEE Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics, Vol. 8, No. 1, 2015.
- Zarrouk, D., Sharf, I., Shoham, M. :”Energetic Analysis and Experiments of Earthworm-Like Locomotion With Compliant Contacts,” Bioinspiration & Biomimetics, No. 11, 2016.
קינמטיקה, דינמיקה של רובוטים. רובוטים משולבי חיישנים, ידיים מרובות אצבעות, רובוטים מקביליים, רובוטים ברפואה.