Former Holder of the Dan Tolkovsky Chair in Mechanical Engineering
Received his BSc EE – MSc ME and PhD ME – all from the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology. His main interests are in the area of Signal Processing applied to Mechanical Systems: Measurements, Vibration problems, System Identification, Modal Analysis and Vibration based diagnostics of bearings and gears.
He was instrumental in having signal processing techniques recognized as an integral tool of many Mechanical Engineering disciplines: He initiated and organized dedicated sessions to this topic at 7 ASME Vibration Conferences (1979 and on), followed by the two first International Machinery Monitoring & Diagnostic Conferences (Las Vegas, Nevada, 1989 and Los Angeles, California, October 1990). Together with M Sidahmed, he initiated the Surveillance conferences in France, starting in 1990, now currently bi-annual ongoing conferences.
He is the Founding and Acting Editor in Chief of MSSP- Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing. In 2013, its Impact Factor was 2.465, and its JSR ranking for Signal Processing was no 4 out 258 entries. Following its success, Elsevier introduced the companion publication CMSSP-Case Histories in Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing.
He was the Editor in Chief of the three volumes Encyclopedia of Vibrations (Academic Press-Elsevier) and author of “Mechanical Signature Analysis“ (Academic Press) and “Discover Signal Processing“ (Wiley). He has published close to 80 papers in peer reviewed journals. His industrial experience includes 4 years at US companies (GE and Ford) and he presented numerous 4 day course in the US, China, Australia, Israel, France, Spain and the UK, all dealing the application of Signal Processing in Vibration based Diagnostics and Analytical/Experimental Modal Analysis .
- 1958 – B.Sc., Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Technion – I.I.T.
- 1961 – M.Sc., Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Technion – I.I.T.
- 1967 – D.Sc., Faculty of Mechanical Engineering, Technion – I.I.T.
- Vibration signal processing and diagnostic applications
- Analytical and experimental Modal Analysis.
- Measurements. And Mechatronics
- Visiting Hartley Professor, Inst. of Sound and Vibration, Southampton (1994)
- Visiting Professor, Dept. Mech. Eng., Imperial College ,London (1993)
- Visiting Professor, Dept. Mech. Eng., University of Michigan (1986-87)
- Visiting Res. Engineer, Ford Motor Co., R & D, Dearborn, Michigan (Summer 1979)
- Res. Engineer, Ford Motor Co., R & D, Dearborn, Michigan (1976-78)
- Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Mech. Eng., University of Beer-Sheva (1973-75)
- Res. Engineer, General Electric, R & D Center, Schenectady, NY (1970-71)
Public Professional Activities
- Editor in Chief and Founding Editor: Journal of Mechanical System and Signal Processing (Academic Press, Later Elsevier)
- Editor in Chief Encyclopedia of Vibrations (3 volumes) (Academic Press, 2000, later Elsevier)
- Associate Editor – Trans. ASME, Journal of Vibration Acoustics, Stress and Reliability in Design (1982-88)
Honors and Awards
- Dan Toltovsky Chair in Mechanical Engineering
- J. Wallenberg Foundation Scholarship 1998
- Best Paper Journal of Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis 1991
- H. Gutwirth prize for promotion of research for: Non-Stationary Rotor Vibrations: Estimation and Suppression 1995.
- S.Braun, “ Discover Signal Processing” , John Wiley and Sons 2008
- S.Braun, “ Procesamiento de senales”, Univesidad Nacional de Educacion a Distancia Madrid 2012
- S.Braun, “Mechaesanical Signature Analysis”, Academic Press (1986).
- S. Braun, M. Feldman, “Decomposition of non-stationary signals into varying time scales: Some aspects of the EMD and HVD methods”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 25, Issue 7, October 2011, Pages 2608-2630
- S. Braun “The synchronous (time domain) average revisited”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 25, Issue 4, May 2011, Pages 1087-1102
- Paulo R.G. Kurka, Simon Braun,”Direct multivariate subspace time identification”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 24, Issue 6, August 2010, Pages 1634-1645
- R. Peled, S. Braun, M. Zacksenhouse, “A blind deconvolution separation of multiple sources, with application to bearing diagnostics”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 19, Issue 6, November 2005, Pages 1181-1195
- R. Klein, D. Ingman, S. Braun, ” Non-Stationary Signals: Phase-Energy Approach-Theory and Simulations”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 15, Issue 6, November 2001, Pages 1061-1089
- L. Gelman, S. Braun,” The Optimal Usage of the Fourier Transform for Pattern Recognition”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 15, Issue 3, May 2001, Pages 641-645
- M. Zacksenhouse, S. Braun, M. Feldman, M. Sidahmed, “Towards Helicopter Gearbox Diagnostics from a Small Number of Examples”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 14, Issue 4, July 2000, Pages 523-543
- S. Braun, M. Feldman, “Time-Frequency Characteristics of Non-Linear Systems”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 11, Issue 4, July 1997, Pages 611-620
- I. Bucher and S. G. Braun, “Left Eigenvectors: Extraction from Measurements and Physical Interpretation”, J. Appl. Mech. Volume 64, Issue 1, March 1997, Pages 97-105
- I. Bucher and S. Braun, “Efficient optimization procedure for minimizing vibratory response via redesign of modifications”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 175, No. 4, pp. 433-473, (1994).
- Dror Armon, Yakov Ben-Haim, Simon Braun “Crack detection in beams by rank ordering of eigenfrequency shifts”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 8, Issue 1, January 1994, Pages 81-9
- Y. Ram and S. Braun, “Predicting the effect of structural modifications: Upper and lower bounds due to modal truncation”, International Journal of Analytical and Experimental Modal Analysis, pp. 201-213, (1991).
- Y. Ram and S. Braun, “An inverse problem associated with modification of incomplete systems”, Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 58, pp. 233-237, (1991).
- S. Braun, J. Rotberg, E. Lenz, “Signal processing for single tooth milling monitoring”, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Volume 1, Issue 2, April 1987, Pages 185-196